The skin barrier is the tough, outer layer of the skin bound together by lipids. Its function is to be protective. You see, the structure of the skin generally consists of various layers, each of which plays an important role in protecting the body.
The skin barrier is arguably the most influential part of how your skin looks and feels. Simply put, the skin barrier is the outermost layer of your skin that functions as a protective shield.
Skin Barrier Function
· Protects from pollution
· Protects from ultraviolet rays
· Protects against irritation, inflammation and infection
· Protects skin from toxins
· Regulate the exit or entry of water on the skin
· retain moisture
· keep skin hydrated
· Blocking the entry of excess certain drugs or anything that is placed on the skin.
Causes of Damaged Skin Barrier
· Too dry or humid environment
· The weather is too hot or cold
· Allergies, irritation and pollution
· Too much sun exposure without protection
· Too often Take a hot shower from the shower
· Strong soap or detergent
· Poor skin care
· Wounds or injuries
· Eat a lot of unhealthy food
· Over-washing or over-exfoliating
· Use of certain drugs such as steroids or hydroquinone
· Psychological stress or pressure, as well as physical disturbances such as lack of sleep
· Family or genetic history that can make the skin more susceptible to certain conditions, such as atopic dermatitis and psoriasis
Some common characteristics of the skin when the skin barrier is damaged
· Frequent irritation
· Itching and discomfort
· Tends to be dry
· Skin care products that are already used can irritate
· Skin care products are difficult to absorb and evaporate quickly
· Less elastic skin
· Wrinkles appear
· There is a color change
· Sensitive and inflamed areas appear
· The appearance of bacterial infections (eg boils, impetigo, cellulitis and leprosy)
· Presence of viral infections (eg smallpox, shingles, measles, and warts)
· The appearance of fungal infections (eg ringworm, nail fungus, tinea versicolor, candidiasis etc.)
If you experience some of the signs that I mentioned earlier, you can start repairing your skin barrier in these ways:
1. Find the main source or cause of your skin barrier damage. You can find out some of the common causes of damaged skin barrier in articles or searching, or even faster check-up with a skin specialist.
2. Do not exfoliate for 2-3 weeks. Rest your skin and let skin cells grow back. After the skin barrier has started to recover, you can exfoliate again, but not every day, okay? You can start by exfoliating once a week.
3. Make sure your cleanser and toner are gentle enough and don't interfere with the skin barrier.
4. Always use moisturizer, especially at night and sunscreen in the morning.
5. Avoid too much exposure to sunlight because harsh UV rays can disrupt the skin barrier and accelerate aging.
6. Avoid pulling the skin because it can interfere with the skin barrier.
7. Pay attention to skin pH, use products that are close to the skin's natural pH.
8. Eat healthy foods such as carrots, green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, berries, nuts, salmon, and so on. Accompanied by a proper diet.
9. Avoid smoking. Smoking can make the skin age and cause wrinkles.
10. Manage stress because psychological pressure can damage hormones and trigger skin problems.
11. Look for skin care products with several active ingredients:
Squalane can help increase hydration and make skin brighter. The antioxidants present in squalane also help fight free radicals, protect the skin's skin barrier, and reduce signs of aging on the facial skin.
On average, squalane is the main ingredient for products such as moisturizers or serums that can be used every day to protect the skin from factors that can damage the skin barrier. This content is also considered safe for acne-prone skin and can overcome large pores.
The role of ceramides is to restore facial skin moisture, overcome wrinkles, and protect the surface of the facial skin.
If you hear niacinamide, maybe we are more familiar with the ingredients that are good for brightening dull skin and fading dark spots. Not only that, niacinamide can also strengthen the skin's skin barrier. Niacinamide will improve the function of the skin barrier by producing ceramides that help maintain the structure and moisture of the skin barrier.
· Hyaluronic Acid
Hyaluronic acid is one of the ingredients that can restore facial skin moisture and prevent the face from getting dull. Hyaluronic acid works by attracting moisture and revitalizing the skin's surface to hydrate dry skin. This content also increases the stability of vitamin C and brightens the surface of dull facial skin.
· Centella Asiatica
Centella asiatica or cica is widely used in skincare products that focus on acne, redness, and sensitive skin. cica is rich in antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and high antioxidant content.
This content is good for repairing facial skin with acne, relieving redness due to irritation, and protecting the skin barrier of the facial skin. Currently, cica is one of the active ingredients in skincare that is widely used as the main ingredient in a product.
The active ingredient contains
Where these three ingredients are useful for repairing and strengthening the skin barrier.
§ Product 99% primaeval fresh bamboo soothing gel
You need to know that 70% of Bambusa vulgaris extract itself contains natural silica, where this silica is rich in polyphenols, amino acids, flavonoids, glycosaminoglycans (GAG), antibacterial, and collagen. In addition, this 99% primaeval fresh bamboo soothing gel also has Centella Asiatica as the ingredients.
§ First Drop Mist
First Drop mist contains 50% Canadian glacier water which of course is pure water rich in minerals that are good for the skin such as selenium which contains antioxidants and silica, zinc is useful in controlling oil production, heals acne faster, and treats wounds caused by acne. In addition, zinc is also needed in the formation of cell membranes and proteins, anti-inflammatory, and skin protection from UV rays, and calcium is the most abundant mineral found in the epidermal layer, which can accelerate skin regeneration, the ability of calcium to stimulate the formation of antioxidants and regulate skin pigment to protect against UV rays.
In addition, First drop mist also contains other ingredients such as Centella asiatica and Hyaluronic Acid.
But you need to
remember skin care to protect the skin barrier, not all ingredients are
suitable for everyone. That's why to overcome a damaged skin barrier, you may
need to try several different products and determine which one suits your skin